Powell River Cycling Association (PRCA) is an 'Associate Club' with the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA).
Paid Members in good standing are covered within the insurance policy while riding both on trail and on road: Both mountain biking and road cycling events are included in this policy.
FOR 2014 all paid members will receive a complimentary pair of PRCA cycling socks (two pairs for family membership)! These coveted socks will be selling for 10$+ to non-members
BOTH THE MEMBERSHIP FORM AND THE IMBA waiver form MUST BE COMPLETED ALONG WITH PAYMENT FOR A MEMBER TO BE IN GOOD STANDING AND ABLE TO FULLY PARTICIPATE IN ANY PRCA RIDES OR EVENTS.
If you wish to be a member of the Powell River Cycling Association, simply complete the member application form and the IMBA waiver form (ONE WAIVER form for each person listed in the family membership) and forward along with $25 (individual) or $60 (family) to the address on the application:
POWELL RIVER CYCLING ASSOCIATION
4153 FERNWOOD AVE
POWELL RIVER, BC
Perhaps you have been thinking: "Why should I become a member of PRCA"?
Higher membership gives us a stronger voice when speaking to the city and regional district about cycling infrastructure developments such as bike parks.
This shouldn't be a difficult decision but for those that are still contemplating the 25$ for a full year membership with the Powell River Cycling Association (PRCA), here you go:
- Group road rides
- Group mountain bike rides
- Opportunities to develop skills as a beginner cyclist
- Improve your skills if you already are an established bicycle rider
- Women-only rides that are set in a safe and comfortable environment
- PRCA is working tirelessly on already established bike trails to improve and maintain them
- Currently PRCA is strongly advocating for establishment and protection of cycling ways, paths, lanes and trails in the Powell River region
- PRCA is working with the city of Powell River to have a bike park made for/with the community
- Each year since 2008, PRCA and the community of Powell River has hosted stage 3 of the international, multi-stage BC Bike Race!
- PRCA is advocating for a safe and comfortable cycling network in and around Powell River and you will be able to be a part of all this advocacy which will hopefully leave a beautiful and lasting legacy for our community
As a member of PRCA, You too can be a part of all that important stuff and
have fun doing so!
The first $10 of your membership goes directly to liability insurance coverage provided by IMBA Canada through OASIS Insurance.
This coverage includes a $1,000,000 liability policy! That's no small potatoes in the albeit unlikely event of an extended injury that occurs while participating in the sport you love (CYCLING)!
The remaining $15 covers expenses associated with operating PRCA that are required in achieving our goals and activities.
If you are wondering what that $15.00 goes towards each year, please be assured that every dollar is recorded and only spent on activities or materials that advance cycling and cycling infrastructure for the Powell River area!
We have been working on prizes and more events that support the feeling of solidarity and "fun"! We had a great grand prize last year of $500 certificate to Suncoast Cycles as well as many prizes provided at each of our toonie rides... remember to be eligible you must be a paid/active!
While we have had a significant increase this past year with local sponorship for trail building and maintenance, there are still resources needed for building trails, bike to work week, advocacy for bike lanes and infrastructure, etc. The return on your investment personally and to the community is a great bang-for-your-buck!
While our insurance coverage with OASIS Insurance now allows for non-club members to participate in rides and events - only registered members of PRCA will benefit from this insurance.
OASIS Insurance program details and coverage provided by your membership can be found here, and you can visit their website here.